On April 26, 1986, a nuclear power plant Chernobyl near Pripyat, Ukraine exploded due to a poor management system. As a result, one of the plants nuclear reactor cracked open and a huge amount of radioactive materials leaked into the atmosphere. It is the biggest man-made disaster in history. This incident triggered the release of substantial amounts of radioactivity into the atmosphere. The effect of this disaster was fearsome and it still being felt today. Here are 20 facts you may not know about this man-made disaster.
Here Are The 20 Facts You May Not Know About The Chernobyl Accident
1. 20% of those deaths were suicides
In the Chernobyl Accident, approximately 60,000 people died. Including all of them, all but 12,000 died by admitting suicide. Because they could not tolerate the pain of Nuclear radiation.
2. 800,000 men risked their lives by exposing themselves to radiation in order to contain the situation. 25,000 of these have died and 70,000 are disabled.
The radiation of the nuclear explosion not only took 60,000 peoples life but also disabled huge human being which would be about more than 70,000. And the radiation effects on the future generation too. Approximately 8,00,000 inhabitants are at risk, they are suffering a lot to lead their normal life.
3. Today, the impact of the accident’s psychological distress is the largest public health concern
Do you know about the nuclear bombing of Nakasika and Hiroshima? The impact of the accident has turned into a great psychological disaster among the people of Nakasika and Hiroshima. Same as the impacts of the Chernobyl Accident come with big psychological distress in the largest public health concern.
4. There are plans to use the areas immediately surrounding the reactor for activities such as radioactive waste processing or the development of natural preserves
After the explosion of the Chernobyl Accident, the authority of the Chernobyl took a plan to reuse the reactor as well as the radioactive waste to developing of natural preserves.
5. The region has become one of the world’s most unique wildlife sanctuaries with thriving populations of wolves, deer, beavers, eagles, and other animals.
The affected area is now abandoned and empty place without the human being. Even the wild animals including wolves, deer, bears, eagles also went to the save places to survive.
6. The radiation leak caused the nearby forest to turn a bright ginger color, thus the forest was named the “Red Forest”
The radiation spread not only across the inhabitants but also through the forest. By the reason of radiation, the nearby forest turned into a bright ginger color that’s why the nearby forest was known as the “Red Forest’.
7. The environmental group Greenpeace places the eventual death toll at 93,000 cancer deaths worldwide.
The big man-made Chernobyl Accident was also responsible for causes cancer and death across the world.
8. The disaster released at least 100 times more radiation than the atom bombs dropped on Nagasaki and Hiroshima.
It is unbelievable ass well as incredible information that the Chernobyl Accident released approximately 100 multiple more radiation than the atom bombs dropped on Nagasaki and Hiroshima. So, do you imagine, what a great disaster it is!
9. The Chernobyl nuclear accident is known as the worst and most serious accident in nuclear history
In the history of nuclear accidents, the Chernobyl was the worst one. The fatalities and casualties were huge and the power of radiation spread nearly the places where nobody can belong even animals. One word, there has no life exists now.
10. The Chernobyl disaster remains the only level 7 incident on the international Nuclear Event Scale (INES) making it the biggest man-made disaster of all time
According to the International Nuclear Event Scale (INES), the accident remains level seven incident which was the biggest man-made fault.
It was bright news in the dark accident that at the initial, researchers thought that cancer, death and many of so casualties and fatalities would be huge. But surprisingly, the casualties were not happened as like the initial thought.
12. Some people have returned to the affected area with their families in order to take advantage of the government’s compensation benefit.
It was an immature decision of the inhabitants that many of them come back to the affected area with their family to get compensation benefit from the government. But it would be a great mistake for them because they would be disabled by the radiation of nuclear.
13. According to the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), 28 of the workers at Chernobyl died in the four months following the accident.
Within the four months of the Chernobyl Accidents, there are 24 workers died according to NRC ( The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission).
14. Around 97% of the radioactive material remains in a crumbling sarcophagus
By the massive accidents, the radioactive material was destroyed among them 97% totally destroyed. Only a crumbling sarcophagus was found there.
15. Belarus received 70% of the contamination from Chernobyl
By the Chernobyl accident, Ukraine was not only contamination but also Belarus. Belarus was the nearest and border country of Pripyat, Ukraine. That’s why Belarus had to receive 70% of the contamination from Chernobyl nuclear accident.
16. Every renovated house in Chernobyl today has an inscription on it bearing the name of the property owner
The area is now people less and empty. People are not living here. But the property of them is still here. Every renovated house in Chernobyl is hung on an inscription which was written the name of the property owner as the symbol of their memory.
17. Greenpeace expects up to 60,000 cases of thyroid cancer from the incident
At the initial moment of the accidents, Greenpeace thought that approximately 60,000 people would be suffered from the thyroid cancer.
18. More than 5 million people live in areas that are considered to be
In the affected area, more than five million people live in areas. But they are not homeless only for the nuclear explosion. They went here and there only to survive themselves.
19. Not surprisingly, the accident has caused the Soviet Union, the Russian Federation, and Ukraine hundreds of billions of dollars.
The loss of Ukraine means to loss of Russia because Ukraine was the part of the Soviet Union. However, the accident has caused the Soviet Union, the Russian Federation, and Ukraine hundreds of billions of dollars.
20. Many doctors throughout Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union advised pregnant women to undergo abortions to avoid bearing children with birth defects in spite of the fact that radiation levels the women were exposed to was too low to cause problems.
After the Chernobyl accident, Many doctors throughout Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union advised pregnant women to abortions. Because of radiation levels of nuclear would be a big health problem for both mother and newborn child.